Congratulations to our Shaker Heights Youth Council for the successful completion of their Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebratory video!
A Celebration of Beloved Community in Honor of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. coordinated by the Shaker Heights PTO and community partners began on January 4th and focused on the Life & Teachings of Dr. King. Audiences were given access to a printed learning guide which were mailed to District families in January, and a digital learning guide was linked so students and families can engage together on daily topics and resources.
On MLK Day, the PTO and community partners hosted a livestream Celebration with a Cause which included inspiring messages, calls to action, and see beautiful performances.
The video below was produced by Monica Boone, Moreland Community Theatre and featuring performances from the Shaker Heights Youth Center.
MLK program outline:
1. Monica Boone – Introduction
2. Tic/Tok – Shaker Area Students performed to Nas “I Can”
3. Ms. Earline Hooper – poem “Life is Precious”
4. Sam Hooper – “A Change is Gonna Come” written by Sam Cook
5. Roschelle Ogbuji – “Beloved Community” 2019
6. Martinique Mims – Dance to the song “True Love” written by Yemi Alade
7. MLK Segments – 2019 performance – Prester Pickett & MyCom and Shaker High School Students
8. Sam Hooper – “Heaven Made Me Too”
9. Neighborhood title cards – “Help Me Out of the Dark” – performed by Sam Hooper and written by Janice Fullman and Sam Hooper